Sunday, September 30, 2012

One Last Project

I had one last project for this week. Twinkling H2O's. I got a bunch of new colors for my birthday and was just itching to try them out! I started by spritzing some water into the tubs to get the colors primed and ready.
I used an 8" x 10" piece of watercolor paper and wet the entire surface really well. Then I used my twinkling H2O's to lay down various colors with a brush. To get some pops of color, I dropped spots of color in random places. 
As I let the colors start bleeding, I started to see some feathering.
Not as much bleeding and mixing as I wanted, so I sprayed a layer of water across the entire page. This caused the intensity of the colors to soften.
As I let the paper sit for a few minutes, the colors started spreading out more, overlapping, blending and merging. 
To get the color pushing a little more, I spritzed this with some rubbing alcohol. As soon as it hit the colors, I started getting more spread patterns, more color, and more variation.
The alcohol kept the colors spreading and fanning out.
I love the intensity of the colors and the way they bleed together. Starting to pick up a little sparkle in this photo.
More detail of a different area.
And more. That right-hand corner didn't get hit with the rubbing alcohol and those colors blended in a different way.
It was a productive day. This is a shot of some of the supplies I used overall. Add in the twinkling H2O's, sharpies, a couple more tile and it was a good day! Now to decide what to do with all my projects!

The Creator's Leaf

10 comments:

  1. It's quite amazing how differently the various products behave - I have lots of H20s & am itching to see what I can do with those once I have some time to play about.
    Paula (PEP)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i'm hoping to take dion dior's twinkling H2Os class someday!

      Delete
  2. Oh, this is what I LOVE!! Playing with color! These are wonderfully rich and vibrant! I can hardly wait to see what you do with them. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. me, too, rita! i never know what i'm going to do with it once i'm finished, but i enjoy the journey getting there :)

      Delete
  3. This looks like fun, I have the twinkling H20's and have never used them. Time to take them out. Do you spray the alcohol? I tried that recently and didn't see much results, perhaps I needed more water?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. diane - make sure your paper is good and wet when you start - i literally had water standing in places - lay your color down, and yes, i put rubbing alcohol in a Ranger mister bottle (you can see it in that last picture - blue - 3rd item from the left, sitting in front of the salt - and spray it where you want it. have fun! let me know if you have any other questions :)

      Delete
  4. H2O's?? Alice, I don't know what these are. I love what you did, tho!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i sent you a message through my facebook page with the details :)

      Delete
  5. how sweet are jars with pearl colors!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    wait to see what zentangle drawing on them

    ReplyDelete

I have been waiting to hear from you :).