Thursday, September 13, 2012

Floating on the Bottom

How's that for a depressing post title? Hahahahaha! Seriously, I wish I was a scuba diver! We used to spend a couple weeks each summer in the Florida Keys. The boys would snorkle and look for lobster. Kali and I would swim in the pool and shop :). A couple years Mark had an underwater camera and was able to shoot some pictures of fish. I've never been down there swimming, but if I could - I imagine this is what it would look like - all zentangle-y :).
When I was at CZT training this past month, there were a couple ladies there that had large artbooks with pages filled with every pattern type imaginable. When I got home I knew I wanted to give it a try. I got a little side-tracked along the way and came up with this, so I will give it another try soon. I built this on a 9" x 12" sheet of Bristol from a Strathmore pad. I started with the pokeleaf at the bottom and the pokeroot in the adjacent corner. I thought fengle would make one awesome starfish, so I did that next.  I just started adding elements here and there.
When I'd get stuck, I would start adding in some color with Pitt markers and Copic markers. Then I realized that ixorus would make some awesome swimming creatures and I kept adding indyrella around the bottom.
My favorite element is definitely that fengled starfish with the danglies and springkles! It also has a little rounding enhancement.
More color added in - when I got to this point I thought I was finished.
Silly me! There was still some room to add in some popsicles (hahahaha!) and those dandelion-looking floaty-thingies. Add a whole bunch more color, and voila! Floating on the Bottom! Just because I can :).

So much fun! I will definitely be doing more of this real soon!

The challenge this week in the Artist's Play Room is ~ juicy! Beneath the seas, lots of water, lots of bright juicy colors - it's just what Jenn ordered up this week. Check it out here and join in the fun!
just add water silly's blog hop link
I am also trying to link up to Serenity Now where Amanda hosts the Weekend Bloggy Reading. You can share your best post of the week and check out other bloggers' fun posts! Why don't you head on over and join in the fun?
Weekend Bloggy Reading
The Creator's Leaf

24 comments:

  1. Love it!!! I enjoy the way you add color to it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I could gaze into the depths here for hours...there's just so much to take in.
    A fantastic piece of work Alice ;D

    I tried to pick my favourite and just couldn't...but I'll keep trying (hehe)
    Have a wonderful weekend whatever you have planned ~ enjoy! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks, neesie, i just kept adding pieces to it, i'd think i was finished then realize i could do something more. i hope you have a great weekend, too!

      Delete
  3. What wonderful items you have chosen...love the dandelion swimmer, the leaf, the chery and small concentric circles with stem... love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. lot of fun, fifi! i love anything to do with the ocean :)

      Delete
  4. Love seeing how this evolved & how you added colour - yes please to seeing more & this really encourages me to keep going. I have both the Moleskine sketch & a watercolour book now (husband bought me one & I had the other from my craft allowance when he saw I couldn't decide). I too want to make some books of tangles for myself - sort of like journalling.
    Paula (PEP)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. that was great for your hubby to buy you a book - my husband really has no clue what i'm doing - haha! i started out looking at art journaling on pinterest, which led to zentangle pix on pinterest. i really learned what i know from pinterest, reading friends' blogs, watching videos, and then my CZT class. and i don't feel like i really know anything very much -every day something new :)

      Delete
  5. I spent ages just looking at all the elements in this piece. I love it, so creative. You have a fabulous imagination, it really looks like an undersea world. There are so many different patterns. Just beautiful.
    Von

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. vonny - that's the best compliment anyone could give me! thank you :)

      Delete
  6. really terrificly rendered zentangle, it truly reminds one of an undersea garden. Great work
    Best,
    Jenn

    ReplyDelete
  7. You're a tangler extraordinaire, that's for sure. All those doodles and tangles and yet it's clearly of the shining (juicy) sea. Beautiful, intricate work! thanks for the visit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hahaha! this comment made me smile :) thank you, terrie! i love the ocean, i love bright colors, and i'm loving tangling for sure!

      Delete
  8. This is so lovely! It's a beautiful piece, I love your colors, and I love that you took us through "your process". Nice post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks for being so faithful to visit my blog - i appreciate you!
      and thanks for you comments - this piece was fun for me - different in some ways, but of course it had to have color :)

      Delete
  9. Your detailing and coloring in this Zentangle under water scene is spectacular. Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you, arnoldo! i hope you have a wonderful sunday!

      Delete
  10. what an amazing little twist into the undersea World. I am fascinated by the large view and then the close and personal. lovely!! truly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks, currie! this one was fun and the larger scale was different to work with but i liked it. thank you for stopping by!

      Delete
  11. Replies
    1. i am all about the color :) thanks for stopping by!

      Delete

I have been waiting to hear from you :).